Picturing black holes; Cloud City Tech Meetup; and classic arcade games – GeekWire
–One of the biggest scientific feats was accomplished this year when a team of astronomers captured an image of a black hole. The achievement reignited our wonder and enthusiasm toward learning about what lies outside our solar system. The techniques used to take that picture will be the subject of Astronomy on Tap’s free monthly presentation on May 22. University of Washington astronomy professor Dr. Emily Levesque and Astronomy on Tap’s founder Dr. Brett Morris will talk about just how hard it was to take the picture of the black hole along with the links between planets and stars.
–As Bitcoin grows in popularity, it’s likely to run into issues by way of being operated over the internet. Network interruptions and accessibility issues in different parts of the world are hurdles that must be overcome for the currency to reach critical mass. The Cloud City Tech Meetup will be hosting Adam Back, the inventor of hashcash and CEO of Blockstream on May 22. Back will be speaking about ways to take Bitcoin off the internet and into space by using a satellite system to broadcast the Bitcoin blockchain around the world for free.
Here are more highlights from the GeekWire Calendar:
- Pitch Deck Karaoke: An event where participants compete to pitch companies on the fly without knowing what’s contained in the deck at the Columbia Tower Club in Seattle; 6-8 p.m., Tuesday, May 21.
- City of Seattle: Dying or Thriving: A discussion about the homelessness problem in Seattle and how the big tech companies can help solve it at Peddler Brewing in Seattle; 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 23.
- Tankfest Northwest: An all-day event featuring fun and educational activities at the Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum in Everett; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 25.
- Renton City Retro: A 2-day retro arcade and pinball convention at the Renton Pavillion Event Center in Renton; Saturday, May 25 and Sunday, May 26.
- Celebrate Women Founders: Learn What It Takes to Start and Run a Company: A panel of women CEOs talking about their experiences running their own companies at Create 33 in Seattle; 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 28.
- How to Not Get Sued: 10 Tips for Startups: A presentation about how to keep lawsuits from multiple directions at bay at Create 33 in Seattle; 10 to 11 a.m., Wednesday, May 29.
- Role Playing Games and Why They’re Good for You: A presentation about the benefits of playing games like Dungeons and Dragons at the Renton History Museum in Renton; 6 to 7 p.m., Wednesday, May 29.
- Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show: A 3-day convention featuring pinball free play and competitions at the Tacoma Convention Center in Tacoma; Friday, May 31 to Sunday, June 2.
For more upcoming events, check out the GeekWire Calendar, where you can find meetups, conferences, startup events, and geeky gatherings in the Pacific Northwest and beyond. Organizing an event? Submit details here.