Waze is a free navigation app that relies on user data to offer traffic alerts and information about road closures and the location of police officers.
Designed for Android, the app not only provides you with a live map, but also adjusts the route in real time. You can even use the app to find cheap gas stations on the go, let others know about your ETA, and listen to your favorite songs without leaving the platform.
What is Waze?
Waze is a user-friendly navigation app that you can download for free on your Android device. The app provides real-time route guidance and maps based on information provided to it by many users. This includes information about traffic jams, construction, accidents, and the location of traffic police.
In addition, the free app monitors user movements to recommend route changes that will get you to your destination faster. Users who provide data to Waze earn points and have access to additional features and functionality. With one million downloads, the navigation app is considered one of the most popular in its category.
Waze was an independent company until 2013, when it was bought by Google. However, this has not changed much about the software. The app still works independently and does not rely on Google’s mapping software. Despite this, Waze is still very popular and a solid alternative to Google Maps.
- See what’s happening – alerts about traffic, police, hazards, and more on your commute.
- Get there faster – Instant route changes to avoid traffic and save time.
- Drive with Waze Carpool – Save time and money by driving together.
- Play music and more – listen to your favorite music apps, podcasts and more directly from Waze
- Know when you’ll arrive – your estimated time of arrival based on live traffic data
- Pay less for gas – find the cheapest gas on your route
- Drive with Android Auto – use Waze on the display of your car
- Always find your way – choose from a variety of voices to guide you as you drive
Be prepared, drive with Waze!
How to use Waze on Android Auto
When you connect your mobile device to your vehicle via a USB cable, Waze projects a more limited version of the app, which currently focuses primarily on navigation.
You can navigate through search or voice commands; however, you cannot update your settings, add or change favorites, send reports through voice commands, or use social features, including chatting with Wazers on the go, sharing your ride or location, etc.
Please sign in to your account and change your settings (such as your navigation voice, route settings, etc.) before connecting to Android Auto.
Get directions with voice commands.
- Connect your mobile device to your vehicle with a USB cable.
- Select the app launcher App Launcher and select “Waze.”
- Say “OK Google” or select the microphone mic. Please note that if Android Auto is not supported in your country, voice command search and the search bar will only be available in English.
- Tell Android Auto where you want to go. Some examples of things you can say are: “Take me home.” “Navigate to Union Square in San Francisco.” “Get directions to Philz Coffee.” “Navigate to work.” “Navigate to 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View.”
- If multiple locations are displayed, confirm the one you want and follow the directions to your destination.
Supports Android Auto
If you have an infotainment system installed in your car, you will definitely like this feature.
The Waze download includes a recent update in its software to offer Android Auto support. This means that when you are on the road in your car, you can easily view the map provided by Waze along with all its features on your car’s infotainment display.
Is Waze free of charge?
Yes. Waze is free to download and has no paid versions.
However, the application is supported by ads, which means that users will have to see pop-up ads when the car is not running. If you close one ad, you may have to see another before you start driving.
Recommends route changes
To help you avoid traffic jams and traffic accidents, Waze provides accurate information as well as suggested detours. This information is collected in real time and provided by Waze users traveling on the same route. Nevertheless, you may end up on an unusual route recommended by Waze. To avoid such a scenario, it is better to stay on main roads instead of choosing the route suggested by the app.
- Easy-to-use voice commands
- Real-time alerts for speed cameras
- Integrates with other apps
- Adjusts the route in real time
- Supports offline navigation
- Provides instant notifications
- No downloads for offline use
- Social features can be distracting
- No directions for public transportation or walking
- Displays pop-up ads
- User interface is not that refined