Selling your stuff online has become a popular alternative to garage sales. For casual sellers, Facebook Marketplace is a free option that connects you with potential buyers in your area. But there are limitations to what you can sell, and it can take a little know-how to stand out on the platform.
Here’s what you should know about selling on Facebook Marketplace.
What is Facebook Marketplace?
Just like eBay and Gumtree, Facebook has expanded its business model to include an online marketplace feature that lets you discover, buy, and sell items to people in your neighbourhood/community. The platform is similar to eBay, but with an added touch of “social.” You can chat with the other party via Facebook Messenger and have access to their Facebook profile as well.
Why Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook is an important tool for brands looking to sell their products to a specific audience.
Previously available only as a peer-to-peer shopping marketplace, Facebook Marketplace has been expanded to include sales by merchants.
As of October 2018, more than 800 million people worldwide were using Marketplace each month to browse, buy or sell items, giving retailers the ability to drive discovery and sales of key products in a place where their consumers are already shopping.
Keep in mind that Facebook Marketplace is currently only available to U.S. retailers.
Here’s what you need to know to take advantage of Facebook Marketplace now.
Facebook Marketplace has three main features:
Browse To Buy – Marketplace opens to a filtered feed of items to buy in your community. Thanks to the tags people add to their posts and Facebook’s text analytics AI, combined with the pages you like and the content you browse in Marketplace, the posts you see are sorted by relevance. Pre-populated messages like “Is this item still available?” and “What condition is this item in?” make negotiations easier.
Sell your stuff – Instead of having to set up a new profile, you can easily take a photo of your item, add a description, set an asking price and post your offer.
Browse your neighbourhood – In addition to browsing specific categories like household or electronics, you can also search for something specific and filter what you see by location, category, and price or via a map. When you find something you’re looking for, you’ll see the seller’s approximate location, not their exact address, unless they tell you.
To sell on Facebook Marketplace
- open the Facebook app and sign in to your account if needed.
- Tap the Marketplace tap located in the middle of the bottom toolbar.
- Select Sell.
- in the pop-up, under Create New Listing, select Items.
- add the information about your item and at least one photo and click Next.
Select a shipping method and click Publish.
Tips for selling on Facebook Marketplace
- With many sellers on the marketplace, it pays to stand out. Here are some tips to help you do that:
- Look at the competition and price your items competitively.
- Take high-quality photos with good lighting.
- Answer questions in a timely manner.
- Include as much detail as possible in the item description.
- Say you are open to offers and negotiate.
- Use tags to make your listings easier to find.