We were asked if it is possible to save a Twitter video so that you can share the clip without having to send someone a Twitter link. The answer is yes. You can absolutely download Twitter videos to your phone and computer. Here’s how.
In the last two weeks there have been many videos circulating on Twitter, from countless protests in support of the Black Lives Matter movement to the opposite end of the spectrum: cute dog videos and silly pranks. When a colleague asked if it was possible to save these videos on the phone or laptop, for historical reference or to share with family and friends outside the Twitter bubble, I set to work to find out how.
What do you know? It’s easy to save a video, once you know how. Here are the tools and steps you need to follow to download a Twitter video to your iPhone, iPad, computer, or Android phone.
How To Download Twitter Videos On iPhone
iPhone owners can use the Apple Shortcuts application to download any videos from twitter.
The Apple Shortcuts application is an incredibly powerful and useful tool for automating routine tasks or doing more complex things, like downloading videos from Twitter.
- Before you can install the shortcut that downloads videos, you must first install shortcuts on your iPhone or iPad.
- Once installed, open the Settings application on your phone or tablet and tap Shortcuts in the list of options. Move the switch labeled Allow Untrusted Shortcuts to the On position. We need to take this additional step to install user-created shortcuts that do not appear in the Gallery section of the Shortcuts application.
- With all that done, open this link on your iPhone or iPad, then tap Get Shortcut. The shortcut application will open and show you everything the task does. For most of us, including me, this is a lot of gibberish. Simply scroll to the bottom with a tap on the red button labeled Add Unreliable Shortcut.
- Finally, with all that done, you can save a Twitter video to your Photos app with just a couple of taps. Open the Twitter application and navigate to the tweet that has the video you want to save. Tap the Share button and then look for Twitter Video Downloader V2.6 in the list of options; tap it.
- The shortcut will start and a few seconds later you will be asked if you want your copy of the video to be high, medium, or low quality. Select your option and then let the shortcut do the rest of the work. When you are done, you can find the saved video in your Photos application.
How To Download Twitter Videos To Your Computer
There are two main websites that make the process of downloading a video published on Twitter a simple process: SaveTweetVid or TwitterVideoDownloader.
- Both websites work the same way. You should use the Twitter website to copy the direct link to the tweet containing the video you want to save, then paste it into the text field on either site and then click on download.
- SaveTweetVid will ask you to choose from three different quality options. Click Download next to the size of the file you want to save and the clip will start downloading automatically. Alternatively, you can scan the QR code at the bottom of the page to download the file to your phone or tablet.
- TwitterVideoDownloader will also provide you with different quality options. Click on the Download button next to the video quality you want to save.
How To Download Twitter Videos On Android
If you want to download the video to your Android phone, the Download Twitter Videos application will do the job right. The application has advertising, but you can remove the ads by making a purchase in the application for 99 cents.
- Install Download Twitter Videos app.
- After installing it, open it, and select your preferred settings. Configure it to download videos with the highest resolution and to start downloading automatically when I share or paste a link in the application.
- With the Download videos from Twitter configuration, use the Twitter application to find a tweet containing the video you want to save. Tap the Share button and select Copy link to Tweet or Share Tweet via. If you copied the link, exit the Twitter application, open Download Twitter videos, and then paste the application into the text field at the top of the screen.
- If you touched Share Tweet, find and touch the Download Twitter Video application icon in the sharing options. The application will start downloading the video in the background.
- To view your downloaded videos, open the application, and select the video you want to watch. You can then share it through another application, save it to your Photos application or upload it to a cloud storage service for safekeeping.