Kodi is a free open-source program that lets you stream movies, and shows, watch TV, play music, and much more. It’s made by the community for the community.
If you’re building the ultimate home theater system, all the hardware in the world can’t do you justice without great software. If you’re looking for the best way to watch movies and TV shows, listen to music, and follow all your favorite sports, Kodi is the app for you. In this article, we will discuss what Kodi is and what you need to know about the app.
When you’re building the ultimate home theater system, all the hardware in the world can’t do you justice without great software. If you’re looking for the best way to watch movies and TV shows, listen to music, and follow all your favorite sports, Kodi is the app for you. In this article, we will discuss what Kodi is and what you need to know about the app.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is a free, open-source software designed specifically for home entertainment that has been on the market for nearly two decades. Microsoft originally developed the software for the original Xbox and called it Xbox Media Center (XBMC). The program evolved and went far beyond the Xbox platform after Microsoft abandoned it. The non-Microsoft team behind what is now called Kodi has built its own community, made up of fans and developers.
Unlike other streaming software companies like Android TV or Plex, Kodi is managed by the nonprofit XBMC Foundation. The software is continuously modified and updated by countless programmers and developers around the world. You can now customize Kodi by installing add-ons or builds, and they are free.
What does Kodi do?
With all the things Kodi does, it’s probably easier to describe what Kodi can’t do, and that is Kodi doesn’t provide you with content. That means you have to provide all the media (music, shows, movies, etc.).
Users often install Kodi on their devices to stream the content they want. Let’s say you have a website that you want to stream content from, but your Firestick doesn’t provide support and isn’t compatible with that website. All you need to do is install Kodi on your Firestick, add the website, and stream through the Kodi app.
Not only websites but also other digital services can be added (so-called add-ons)! While Kodi doesn’t offer its own content, it does offer you the ability to stream your media in one place on almost any device.
The advantages of Kodi
- With this app, you can watch your photos, videos, movies, and TV shows, stream music, watch podcasts, and play games.
- Kodi is a free open-source media center developed by the community for the community. You can download and install it in just a few simple steps. You can also install the add-on extensions for a better user experience and more features.
- With the app, you have all your pictures, videos, and music in one place. You just open the corresponding tab and it will show all the files that are present on your device. You can install add-ons, which are essentially small programs that let you stream or watch anything you want, from live television to movies, and TV shows. For example, you can watch your favorite live sporting events or record an episode of a TV show.
- Kodi has a customizable interface that lets you change the look, background, and anything you want.
- This app is ideal for creating a home theater PC. It can categorize your media collection and download movies automatically. It is widely available on multiple systems, easy to use, and quick to set up.
- Supports any music format
- Open Source
- Supports multiple operating systems
- Complicated additions
- App stalls
- Slows down some devices