Wireshark is the world’s leading and most widely used network protocol analyzer. It allows you to see what’s happening on your network at a microscopic level and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard in many commercial and non-profit enterprises, government agencies, and educational institutions. The development of Wireshark is thriving thanks to the volunteer contributions of network experts around the world and is a continuation of a project started in 1998 by Gerald Combs.
What kind of tool is Wireshark?
Many vulnerabilities go unnoticed on a home or office network. However, security breaches can cause you to lose your customers, your work, and your personal data. When you capture and analyze packets, you can understand the health and security status of your entire network. Consequently, packet sniffing is also something that hackers use to find and exploit network flaws.
Wireshark Download is an open-source network protocol analyzer that gives you an edge over hackers. The software program works by capturing packets of a network. While the network can be from your home, office or the Internet, a packet is a unit of data for an Ethernet or WiFi network. Once packets are captured, Wireshark analyzes each unit to reveal security breaches and other vulnerabilities.
What is Wireshark used for?
As mentioned above, Wireshark is used to capture and analyze traffic. This is done with the help of the latest features, functionalities and protocols. In fact, according to the company, it is one of the most widely used network protocol analyzers in the world. And the great thing is that the open-source software is available for free for both personal and commercial use.
The easy-to-use Windows application allows users to customize certain parts of the applications. This means that developers can perform analysis and testing for a range of network types, dissectors and signatures. In addition, all captured information can be easily stored on the platform so that other applications that use or analyze network traffic can easily access this data interpretation.
In addition, Wireshark for Windows offers all the features you would expect from another paid tool. If you want to analyze your home network or provide your IT department with a powerful network analyzer without buying, Wireshark can be a good option. With its help, you’ll be able to monitor all aspects of your network and fix any performance or security problems that the program highlights.
- A deep review of hundreds of logs, with more being added all the time
- Live recording and offline analysis
- Standard package browser with three windows
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed through a GUI or via the TTY-mode Shark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Extensive VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer Pro and NetXray, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen Snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, WildPackets EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek and many others.
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed in a snap
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI and others (depending on platform)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP and WPA/WPA2
- Colour rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV or plain text
Install Wireshark on Windows
The Windows installer names include the platform and version. For example, Wireshark-win64-3.5.0.exe installs Wireshark 3.5.0 for 64-bit Windows. The Wireshark installer includes Npcap, which is required for package capture.
Simply download and run the Wireshark installer from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html. Official packages are signed by Wireshark Foundation, Inc. You can install several optional components and select the location of the installed package. The default settings are recommended for most users.
- Free and open-source software
- Supports data filtering
- Analyzes traffic from various sources
- Option to download data to a local device
- Outdated interface